Friday, October 23, 2015

The Atonement

So this week in my Pathway Program I was the lead student in my Book of Mormon Class. It is the religion class, yes I go to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, most people know us as the Mormons.  So I had the opportunity to teach my class on Chapters found in the Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 9 through 16.  There were two topics to really choose from, The Atonement and Isaiah.  You are correct I chose the Atonement.  I did this because I have a testimony of the power of the Atonement and I know it will and can change lives.

So to start out the lesson I read a thought that was called The Bridge By Melanie Day. It was about a man that sacrificed his son for a passenger train that would cross a larger river.  She compared it to the feelings of how our Heavenly Father felt when He sacrificed His Son for us.  How grateful I am to my Heavenly Father that He willingly did that for all who came to this earth so that we could return to live  with Him.  I love object lessons, I feel they teach in a powerful  way, so I used two different object lessons. The first one, I brought a hard-boiled egg and explained that as we make choices we mark up the shell, the shell sometimes cracks, and it doesn’t look all that pretty anymore.  But as we repent and renew our covenants each week, the power of the Atonement purifies us and we are cleansed (I removed the shell off) from sin and we get to start over again.  The second, object lesson  I took a paper airplane and taped a nickel inside and threw it across the room, it didn’t fly very well.  I explained why, that there was a nickel taped on it.  I told them that the nickel represents our sins or bad choices that hold us back and bring us down.  I then took off the nickel and flew the plane again across the room, and it flew straight.  They then broke up into two groups and discussed the analogy and came up with a question for the other group to answer.  After we came together and discussed it. 

To end the lesson I had found this video  lifting burdens  it talks about how the Atonement can lift all our burdens and how we are forever connected to our Savior Jesus Christ because of the Atonement. I then sang as our closing song a song from Mercy Me called "I can only Imagine" that talks about if you were standing in front of Jesus right now what could you imagine doing?  Would you be speechless?  Forever on your knees?  Or forever worshiping Him? It is one thing we can spend the rest of our lives imagining or we could live now so that when it does happen we will see Him as we know and feel Him now.  That is my hope and prayer for all.  
 

No comments: